Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April Pictorial Competition: It's not all about winning

April 19, 2010
Livermore Valley Camera Club

Everytime Color Pictorial Competition (Print and Projected Images) comes, it's always a big, busy and competitive night. As we get bigger (population wise), the competition gets tougher as well. More new pro are coming in and old timers getting better and better.

How do I pick what images to enter?...For me, competition is not all about winning, it's also about LEARNING. We are entitled to enter maximum of 2 images and my strategy is to enter one that will give favorable comments from the judge (and hopefully will win ) and a not-so-good one so I know where I can improve my skills.


PRINT Color Pictorial: Honorable Mention
Ventura Sunset

judge commentary: It's simple, though not a spectacular sunset, but I like it. It's something that you will hang on your wall and look at. It's relaxing. The clouds, the light on the water, and little bit of the mountain are interesting.





PRINT Color Pictorial: not a winner
Subway Light, New York
judge commentary: Someone saw interesting in the subway. I would just crop and focus on the light on the ceiling. Crop the fluorescent light and the lower part (floor) as well. But I like the fact what the photographer saw and made an interesting image of
the subway.



PROJECTED Pictorial Competition: Honorable Mention
The Silhouette Of The Foggy Tree, Mission Peak CA
judge commentary: The tree is sharp and stand out in a foggy day. I like the position of the tree and the sun. I also like the inclusion of
the hill below as foundation. Very nice composition. It's simple and yet well done.




PROJECTED Pictorial Competition: not a winner
Beach Comber, Pismo Beach CA
judge commentary: he's looking to the photographer and I don't know what he's doing. I would tone down the lights on the top.



A good balance of winning and losing is important. If you just win all the time, you won't get anything out of it; having some tough losses can be really important. ~ Andrew Shue


[click the images to enlarge]

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly what I'm doin' "LEARNING"! Tell you more about it when I see you.
    ;-)Rosy

    ReplyDelete

Let me read your mind. Please leave your comments.