Monday, September 21, 2009

Grand Slam Night - winning vs. pride


Is it luck or is it just getting better?...

Recently at the camera club (Livermore Valley Camera Club or LVCC), my 3 entries were all selected. People often ask "Do you get any price for winning?"

At the club, it is all about recognition. When selected as 1st, the maker will be entitled for short commentary about the image. Any 1st and 2nd placer will be sent to the council (Northern California Council of Camera Clubs or N4C) to compete with the other winning pictures for the monthly and annual competition ~ it's the club's rule but sometimes there are rules that need to be broken like this one:

John (my favorite Master photographer and club's events manager) told me that night: "You keep on winning Marichu. I know we have rules, but I need to promote you to the next level. "

Winning makes me proud and happy. BUT I'd definitely rather be proud of my work, more creative, $uccessful, happy and content than obsessed with winning. The real enjoyment is derived from the joy of creating something new and something better from the joy of my passion (photography). If I focus on creating fantastic photos then winning will take care of itself.


Wynn At Night


1st place Travel Basic Projected 09/07/09

The Road To Lassen


2nd place Travel Basic Projected 09/07/09

The Squatter's Living Situation In Mountain Province, 1st place Journalism Basic Projected 09/07/09

“A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.” ~ Larry Bird

[click on the image to enlarge, click the underlined above title Grand Slam Night to see all my winning pictures].

1 comment:

  1. Hello Marichu...Thank you for your kind words.
    I can't believe that you do such lovely photography. You do have the eye for this. It is gorgeous.
    I've read a little background on your blog and it is so incredibly positive (you still look smart & pretty too).
    You seem to have changed so much since more than 5 years ago.
    Good to hear from you!

    Cheers,
    holly

    ReplyDelete

Let me read your mind. Please leave your comments.