Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Silhouette: in awe

In photography, Silhouette refers to as Contre-jour, French word for 'against daylight ~ it refers to the sight or image of a person, object or scene that is backlit, and appears dark against a lighter background. This effect usually hides details, causes a stronger contrast between light and dark, creates silhouettes and emphasizes lines and shapes. The sun, or other light source, is often seen as either a bright spot or as a strong glare behind the subject. Additionally, the word silhouette is an eponym of Etienne de Silhouette, a French finance minister who in 1759 enjoyed making cut paper portraits.

I have taken quite a few of Silhouette. Don't hesitate to photograph an image just because you're directly facing the sun and that your subject is pitch-black, you'll be surprised that you will produce one.

Photography brings an inspiring awe to me ~ just like the photographer above who wants to capture the Sunset in Mona Kea Hawaii and the surfer below in his Post Surf Awe.





"Watch me at the window from your place on the couch, watch me pretending that I am really looking out. You say 'come here, I can't see you in this light,' but I'm much safer beside the moon tonight. 'Cause when I am a silhouette/ I have no fear.” ~ Unknown

[click the image to enlarge, click the underlined title Silhouette to play the song Silhouette from the movie Dying Young].

1 comment:

Let me read your mind. Please leave your comments.