Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Spirit In Me: wind

The picture below was taken way back November 1972 of me and my mom at my grandmother's house. [though l appreciate what digital photography can offer, l am until now attached to the Old World feeling from any old photograph]. On the back (not shown) has mom's handwriting for dad, which she sent this to him, who at that time finishing his contract as an overseas merchant marine/seaman oveseas [dad was not around when l was born]. So, this picture travelled somewhere, travelled back home with dad, and now it's with me!

Until now I keep on wondering if there was any occassion on that day (how l can remember, l was that "cute li'l innocent" 10 months old baby). Maybe we were just visiting grandma or maybe that was the day l was released from the hospital after getting sick. Mom told me her ordeal when she almost lost me and how frightening it was going out to take me to the hospital during the Martial Law [Former President Marcos declared Martial Law in Sept 1972]--- well my friends, l made it, alive and kicking and still surviving!

We didn't have anything "extra" in life. But she was always around despite her busy schedule as a working mom and filling in for dad (when he's overseas) making sure we're all (3 children) healthy, safe and educated. As the closest child , l saw and shared life's happiness and hardships with her. For what l have thrived and learned in life, it's all because of her.

Mom never found out about my "serious" photography. How l wish l discovered it sooner but deep inside l know that she knows. She's like a Wind ~ l never see her but feel her for her spirit lives in me. I lost her in 2006 but it opened the door to my talent...my passion...my happiness.

[click the above title "The Spirit In Me" to play "Gone Too Soon" song that l lovingly dedicated to her. click the picture to enlarge - sorry was not looking, camera shy at that time]
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." - Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me read your mind. Please leave your comments.