Thursday, June 3, 2010

Blue Dress: express your true nature


Bold, Beautiful, and Blue... As I pour myself a cup of ambition in learning Portrait & Studio Photography, I also started building my own model pool. Rather than hiring a pro (budget-wise, I can't afford one), I listed some people that I know and set qualifications that I posted in my Facebook March 19, 2010:
"I'm looking for a female model to work with me this Sunday: Asian or Latina, tall, slim, long hair, expressive eyes, nice smile/skin. No make-up/hair style required. No restrictions. No allergy as it's Outdoor Portrait Pictorial...TFP / TFCD arrangements only."

Uma & Chi were the last on my list. Not because they didn't meet my criteria but because they are camera-shy. On a daily basis, you'll see them comfortably wearing jeans&shirts and no make-up, scrubs for Chi, and hiking pants/shirts/boots for Uma. But they are both beauty and brains.


Early Spring 2010 - the Mustard grass grows itself. We trespassed a private farm (that I've been eyeing for years) in the countryside, a perfect setting for my theme Blue Dress: Express Your True NATURE. To enhance my shot and to give extra layer of depth, I added some props for this pictorial: red hat, red daisies, orange-purple scarf, and simple jewelries. I had planned for an early morning or before sunset pictorial but didn't happen. The strong natural light during the mid-day is always a challenge.


Uma: Sanskrit name meaning "luminous or serene". Also a name of the Goddess Parvati. In Hebrew, it is "Peace of the World".

Uma is my hiking buddy and my bestfriend. We met while on a hike in Point Reyes in 2006. A native from India but (over)educated in the U.S. Her passion is hiking and her music (Indian Classical).

Uma is beautiful and poised. She didn't know that not until after our pictorial. While reviewing the images from my camera and on screen, she kept on asking me "Chu, is that really me?"... Her modeling reveals her true beauty and helped building her self-esteem that she is one beautiful creation.



Chi is Maria Azita. Azita is an Iranian-Persian Feminine name meaning quick-minded, sensitive nature. Also a name of an Iranian princess.

Chi is a former co-worker and a friend. We still work for the same company but in different department. As she moved up to higher position, I comfortably stick to my position and working myself out to the wonderful world of photography. Her passion is her family.
Chi is beautiful and gorgeous. Her serious look reveals more seductive alluring look. This girl can walk the model runway!

Bold, Beautiful, and Blue...I turned my camera-shy friends into super model and let them express their true nature in my Blue Dress Collection. As I build and create my own model pool, I also empower these simple ladies to bring out their beauty and let them shine!



"Blue color is everlasting appointed by the Deity to be a source of delight. The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love color the most." - John Ruskin

[click the images to enlarge]

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chu,
    I just checked out your posting of me and Chi on your web..
    I see you did some research on my name! :) I think my parents were actually considering Parvati for my name!
    Thanks for the nice words.. :) I am happy to have you as my friend.
    Congratulations again on the many recognitions that you have been getting. Best wishes for your continued success in photography.
    ~ Uma

    ReplyDelete

Let me read your mind. Please leave your comments.